Chestnut Cake with Cream Filling
For 1 cake (26cm)
|For the 26 cm base
|Zest of an organic lemon
|For the filling
|Low-fat quark (fresh cheese)
|For the chestnut rice
- For the base grease a 26 cm cake tin, preheat the oven to 180°C (static).
- Beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla sugar until light in color, then beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Mix chestnut flour and baking powder, then add to the grated hazelnuts and chestnut puree in the butter mixture. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, gradually adding sugar before they become too firm. Gently fold in one-third of the egg whites into the butter mixture, then the rest.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin, smooth it out, and bake on the lowest shelf for 35 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick. Immediately remove from the oven onto a rack to cool.
- For the chestnut rice mix the chestnut puree with powdered sugar and softened butter.
- For the filling mix the quark with sugar. Whip the cream until stiff peaks form, add the cream stabilizer, and fold into the quark mixture.
- Place the first base layer on a cake plate and place a cake ring tightly around it to shape the cake. Spread one-third of the prepared quark and cream mixture evenly on the base and smooth it out. Gently place the second base layer on top and spread another layer of quark and cream. Position the third base layer on top and generously spread the remaining quark and cream mixture to cover and level the cake. Sprinkle the surface with the chestnut rice using a potato masher.
*Chestnut puree can be purchased or prepared by cooking 500 g of chestnuts in plenty of water (let them cool completely in the water), peel them, and pass them through a potato masher.